Saturday, September 29, 2012

Is It Hopscotch? Checkerboard Floor Inspirations

Is it Hopscotch?
That was the question from a neighbor yesterday. 
Nope. . . . .It's our keeping room floor. . . .

Before. . . .

 
Taped half-way. . . .

Taping is slow-going for us. . . .I had this idea in my head to follow the cabinets and I wanted the squares on the diagonal. . . .Neither John nor I excelled in math,  so we're having to adjust as we go. . . .
I rarely do anything the easy way, but John is good natured and patient. . . .
This was his only blueprint. . . .
It's taken both of us to figure it out. . . .
But, once we get the taping finished, it should go a lot faster. . . .

 I thought I'd share some Checkerboard Floor Inspirations, 
while we continue working on our own floor. . . .
I discovered that checker-boarding is an historic way to finish a floor.
Colonial Americans often used the technique, adding a dramatic effect to a room.
It was considered mostly for the wealthy, since paint was expensive back then--
just the opposite of today's floor treatment.

 Look how the black and white makes this kitchen "Pop". . . .

 I love this one. . . .It has a sophisticated farmhouse flare. . . .

 John is threatening to only paint the black squares
and leave the wood squares as they are. . . .
I don't know about that. . . .

 Don't you love it on the diagonal?
Look at that chandelier. . . .
I have Mom's. . . .It came from Italy. . . .Hmmmmmm. . . .

No, I'm sticking to plain & simple. . . .
The other kitchens are beautiful, but this one is more my taste. . . .
Plain & Simple Farmhouse Style. . . .

Looks like our weekend will be spent on our knees. . . .
We don't mind, though. . . .We're anxious to see the results. . . .

Sharing with: * DIY by Design * Make It Pretty Monday

13 comments:

Barbara F. said...

This is a big project! I can see from the photos why you are inspired to do it. Good luck, csn't wait to see the results. xo P.S. I like the look with half black/half wood :)

The Cranky said...

This will be spectacular, can't wait for the photo finish!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I'm anxious to see the results of your hard work too!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, what I'd give to have floors like your keeping room!!!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Our kitchen floors are shot! They need refinishing or painted.
I'm thinking of pepering them the same way I did the vinyl in the bathroom.
I like all your inspiration photos...can't wait to see your floors when they're done.

Pat

cynthia lee designs said...

Lots of hard work, but it will be so worth it in the end...says the lady in the middle of a total kitchen remodel. LOL... Can't wait to see your floor when you get it all done. We are getting closer to the end of our huge project.
~Cindy

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Oh, this is going to look so good. What colors? Can't wait to see the results..Happy Sunday..Good day to be on your knees!!..Judy

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh The bottom one is the one for me too. How exciting we have a wooden kitchen floor and I would love to do this but the math part kind of scares me:) B

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely ~ I have this in my foyer area ~ yet will look great in kitchen also ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I can't wait to see it Dru. My husband would never ever let me paint a wood floor. I do paint some furniture and I'm getting closer to painting the woodwork trim white. Men in Northern Minnesota are wood purists!

Mandy said...

Can't wait to see it when it's finished!!!!

DIYbyDesign said...

I can't wait to see the finished project. It will be worth all of the work. I would love for you to link this up to my Fall into Fall party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Oh, how exciting! Can't wait to see it when it's all done. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...