Wednesday, September 26, 2012

White Gold and Be Funky

I love harvest time in the Delta.
Fields and fields of white as far as the eye can see. . . .
the chug, chug, chug of the cotton gin close by. . . .
the activity up and down the road as farmers and their machinery go from field to field,
picking into the evenings what the Old Timers called "White Gold". . . .

There's just an excitement in the air that harvest brings. . . .


This week is proving to be a busy one. . . . .
The weather is giving us a few very nice days. . . .
Time to store summer furniture and yard ornaments,
prepare the gardens for winter, 
prune the fruit trees and mulch the flower beds. 


 It's fun to be outside and enjoy the excitement of the season,
even though there's a lot of work involved. . . .
But, I thought I'd take a few minutes from my chores 
and share these photos from a few years back with you.
 I've been playing with them using BeFunky.com.
Until now, I've used PicMonkey--and still will for some things--
but, I've fallen in love with Be Funky. . . .

This one is my favorite--
After all these years, I've finally painted a "canvas" that I like. . . .
It almost feels like cheating. . .

It's amazing what can be done to a digital photograph with just a few clicks on the computer.
Daddy's hobby was photography, but he did it the old way--
with a 35mm camera and a dark room.
He would have had so much fun with a program like Be Funky.


Well, I hear the "ole cotton fields calling". . . .time to get back to work. . . .

Hope you, too, are having an exciting harvest season. . . .
I know this Farmer's Daughter is. . . .


Sharing with: * Barn Charm * Rural Thursday

26 comments:

cattus said...

Cute barn quilts on the sheds. :D

Old Time Cindy said...

Nice photos! I've never even heard of Be Funky. Thanks for sharing.

Tanya Breese said...

wow those are beautiful! i haven't tried be funky and forgot about picmonkey, which was my favorite since picnic closed, then i found ribett and then this week i found pixlr-o-matic! there's just so much you can do with pics now! i used to be snooty about all the editing and now i'm soooo addicted to it lol

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! I would luv to see a cotton filed up close and personal. But until then your pictures are great. Luv the red barn n the filed of white.
Cheers, Gee

http://www.simplymedesignsbygee.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Though your photos are beautiful, I am sure seeing all those cotton fields in person is a sight to behold indeed. Thanks for sharing.

blessings, jill

Sam I Am...... said...

Thanks so much for sharing those pictures of harvest time. I used to live between 2, 3rd generation farms and I loved harvest season and I miss it. The harvest moon, the crisp Fall evenings, except ours was soybeans and corn usually. They would work late into the night or all night if necessary and the corn burners humming in the silos drying the corn. I miss it!!!!!!
Cotton must look like snow out there in the fields especially at night....how gorgeous it all is!
Thanks for the Be Funky tip too! TTYS!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Cotton is really a beautiful crop.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Looks like the cotton in your area is really doing well! The quilts on the shed are so pretty!

cynthia lee designs said...

Beautiful photos!! I have Be Funky Pro on my iPhone and my iPad...and I've had a lot of fun playing with it for the last several months.
~Cindy

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos. I love what you did with Be Funky. My mother would have loved this photo, she picked cotton when she was little. Have a good harvest week!

Jody

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I've never heard of the nickname 'white gold'. Your pics are gorgeous!

tiarastantrums said...

my kiddos would love to see this - they still don't believe me that cotton "grows"

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post about harvesting and fantastic photography ~ will have to check out be funky ~ (A Creative Harbor)

EG CameraGirl said...

I would love to see cotton being harvested! Cool post.

Buttons Thoughts said...

I am with EG cameraGirl I would love to see cotton fields since we both live in Canada I doubt we will see it grown here at least not for awhile.
I love your photos and I am sure your Dad would have love the new ways to play with photos. I love the bottom one it is truly a work of art.
All your photos are beautiful I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree. :) B

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love those photos.....
Fall is a busy time, but it is so nice to be able to enjoy being outside again!

Nancy said...

Your photos are lovely -- and take me to another place... Thank you for sharing at RT this week. xo

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful captures =)

Florida Farm Girl said...

I miss the smell of the air when peanuts are being picked, or cotton. There's just something about the harvesting that satisfies the soul. And I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.

andrea@townandprairie said...

There are many photographers who do still stick to the true art of their craft and only work with film and a darkroom. There is something very tactile about art which I have always loved... the handmade is beautiful. Your farm imagery is gorgeous... I would love to wake up to those images everyday!

Saun said...

Beautiful love the fields of white.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, those barns are too gorgeous. lovely farm. (:

Mari said...

The whole thing is beautiful! Love the barns, the outhouse, the harvester and of course, the cotton!

Carletta said...

I love all of these!
The old outhouse is lovely with its wreath and the quilt squares on those little buildings with a white fence are as charming as can be. We had a shed behind our house and my Dad used to hang a wash tub on it as well.

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you for joining in & linking up

Happy Barn Charmin =)

Jori said...

Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!!! The little red out house is awesome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...